GENERAL MEDICINE INTERNSHIP ASSESSMENT

 GENERAL MEDICINE INTERNSHIP ASSESSMENT 


Duration of posting - 5/5/23 - 3/7/23


I was posted in General medicine department for 2 months which included 2 weeks of Psychiatry posting.


My first two weeks were in the Department of Psychiatry and I must say the cases are quite intriguing.


I learnt the importance of taking a proper case history and how their daily routine impacts their condition.


I also came across a fascinating case of a school boy who was reluctant to go to school and came to the OPD stating he was advised by his grandfather not to attend school. He was counselled properly by our PG and that made me realise how essential it is to evaluate a patient thoroughly and counsel them.


I got the opportunity to look at various cases- schizophrenia, alcohol abuse, depression.


Unit duties


During unit duties I would update SOAP notes, create PaJR groups and make blogs of the admitted patients after de identifying them.


I would also update the fever charts and investigations in the case sheets and monitor vitals of the admitted patients.


All the necessary investigations were carried out properly as advised by the PGs I was posted under. Samples were taken, sent and reports were collected. Patients were taken to referrals when required.


I learnt foleys catheterisation, ryle’s tube insertion and venous sampling.


On OP days, checking vitals of every patient, examined the patients and updated them in the OP audit along with clinical images. I understood the significance of history taking.


Links to my e-logs-

  1. 82 yr female with fever, knee pain and swellings In both legs below knee


  1. 56 yr female with lower back ache


  1. 25 year old female with SOB


  1. 30 year male with epigastric pain


  1. 75 year old female with lower back ache


  1. 37 year male with SOB


  1. 68 year old male with shortness of breath and anuria


ICU and AMC duties 


ICU and AMC were a great learning opportunity as I watched central line procedure, inserted foleys catheter, ryle’s tube, performed CPR, took ABG sample and venous samples, monitored vitals of the patients.


Ward duties


Monitored vitals of the patients and updated the SOAP notes.


Nephrology duties


Monitored the vitals of patients who were put on dialysis, sent and collected samples for the admitted patients.


My clinical postings in the Department of General Medicine were delightful, helped me learn so much more about the subject with various cases I got to see and diagnose them with proper history taking and necessary investigations. I would like to thank all of my faculty, PGs and cointerns for being truly supportive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

47 year old with fever, headache and altered consciousness

MEDICINE BLENDED ASSIGNMENT